Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Mother Sleep Deprived=No Fun for Anyone Involved




My Mothers family is German, both sides, all sides German. I am fourth generation American on that side. They arrived her and started farming and ranching in Nebraska. The only reason I bring this up, is because there are two type of people on my Mothers side. There are those that wake before the rest of the World, before the sun, and they are industrious, they work and work and work...until the sun sets. The "awake" side of the family require little sleep 4-5 hours. They wake early and talk and talk, and chatter about. Which is honestly irritating to any normal person at 4:30 in the morning. They love morning. The other type of sleep personality in that family oddly enough is the ALWAYS tired, always sleeping person. (my Brother has inherited this trait, I also have at least 4 sleeping cousins). It seems that there is not enough sleep for these people. They seriously would sleep 10 hours a day and it would never be enough. They look tired they act tired. Remember the sleepy mouse on the Speedy Gonzolez cartoons? Yeah that is the other half of the family. It is really an odd mixture of people to combine.

I on the other hand have my Fathers sleep habits. Always have. I do not shut down easy, I like the quiet in the house at night. I have trouble sleeping. I like private time to read, or blog, watch a movie. I like the house when it is quiet. I can do 6 hours sleep, but feel better with 8.


The bad news here is, I gave birth to German farmers.

Many of you remember the days of Sir Rowland not sleeping well. Neither of my children are "sleepers". Sir Rowland is 5 now, he sleeps through the night regularly. At least 10 hours. Unless he is ill or has a bad dream.



Pink Ninja on the other hand is requiring less than a normal amount of sleep for her age. That might have something to do with turning three. Three is an energetic age. Because she is waking daily at about 4:30 a.m. ready to go. She wants everyone up at 4:30a.m.

I have tried keeping her up later, and all other practical things. But it seems as if she is waking at 4:30 to pee and then she is awake. (yes I have tried cutting fluids as well, so she doesn't have to pee, but thanks for thinking I am incapable). She still wakes to pee. When you are 3, your bladder is small.

It is my job at 4:30 to convince her that it is not time to be awake. It never works.

You see my kids do not nap, never have despite my BEST EFFORTS. (I have learned, some kids do not nap. They will nap if they are strapped in the back of the truck on a ride, but with a Ford F150, this is not a practical solution, or something I have ever done unless I am close to death) So by 10am. Pink Ninja turns on me, and instead of her normal full of joy self...she becomes almost unrecognizable.

So, I suppose it is time to give in to the 4:30 monster. Ugh....

I do not like 4:30 in the morning. I never have, never will.

No comments: