Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chicken Soup

Sir Rowland is ill with a cold. He wants my chicken noddle soup. You can buy frozen egg noodles. (Reames, is a popular brand) However, none to be had here in town. Last evening Pink Ninja, Sir Rowland and I sat down at the kitchen table and made the noodles for the soup.

I had to dig up the recipe, which was my Mothers, and proabably handed down through at least 4 generations.

Egg Noodles

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cream (you can sub milk)
(keep extra flour out, and in reach)

So we mixed the dough.

Pink Ninja, made the dough into baseball sized balls

Sir Rowland, rolled out the dough

AWTM, cut the dough into strips, on A WELL FLOURED SURFACE !

Voila! Noodles.

We let them dry over night. I know my mom used to make the noodles in the morning, and they would be ready for the pot by 5pm.

Here is a re-post of the rest of the recipe...

Just like grannies chicken noodle soup

12 cups water with boullion/ or chicken broth
I whole chicken, grilled or raosted.
(I am slow raosting mine in the oven today)
(I use my chicken stock)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1/4 cup onion diced
(DH likes an egg dropped in.)
(save celery leaves for later)

make sure these ingredients are at a gentle boil, and add noodles.

-add celery leaves before serving.

1 12oz bag frozen Reames egg noodles wide (*you can make your own egg noodles, however these noodles are very good)

So there it is. One of my most requested items from family and friends.




*Pictures tonight after soup is done!!

It is 18 degrees with the windchill. Brrrrr.

No comments: