Sunday, January 28, 2007

Define Wench




Last night while bathing The Collective.

Sir Rowland: "You got soap in my eyes."

AWTM: "sorry buddy"

Sir Rowland: "You kitchen wench."

AWTM: "Where did you hear that?"

Sir Rowland: "Cinderella."

AWTM: "yeah, we don't call people wenches."

I have always thought of wench being derogatory, so after putting The Collective down for the night, I looked it up.

I am going to pretend he meant "young woman"....

Main Entry: 1wench
Pronunciation: 'wench
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English wenche, short for wenchel child, from Old English wencel; akin to Old High German wankOn to totter, waver and probably to Old High German
1 a : a young woman : GIRL b : a female servant
2 : a lewd woman : PROSTITUTE

Enjoy your Sunday, it will be a busy day here.

There is church, and then a lot of odds and ends around Casa De Dust.

I must take some photos of some things The Collective have outgrown, so they can be sold.

2 comments:

MrsB said...

I'm enjoying your blog...very relatable in my world o' munchkins and hubby. Funny: I found you looking up a definition for wench for my own blog. Thanks for sharing :)

Mainframeguy said...

what I'm after is the collective noun for wenches... so obviously this is high on the Google hit list - though weirdly you only get bronze! Check my blog if you'd like the "wordia" definition, it's funny, maybe...