Monday, January 08, 2007

Week #2 recipe

Part of my New Years resoloution was, to try 1 new recipe per week. A break for everyone that tolerates my current cooking rotation. Tonight I tried a different coleslaw.

Asian Slaw

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic

5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Procedure:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.

2. In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.

*Ok, the news here, I only used one type of cabbage, and I had no scallions. I did use regular green cabbage, red pepper, and some celery. (DH suggested water chestnuts would have made a tasty edition). I also used just 1 TBS olive oil.

It was very delicious, and I served it with grilled chicken breasts.

I do think this salad could be used in rice paper wraps sort of like Vietnamese Spring Rolls (one of my favorite things to eat). The entire family enjoyed the meal. I will try this again.

No comments: