Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Children of the wheat...






A few more photos of my cousin's farm, and the wheat fields.

I happen to have video of SR actually driving that combine in the other video and will try and load it soon.

I do want you to imagine for a moment harvesting grain by hand. Think of how long it would take to do that. Not long ago and people did this task by hand with a scythe or sickle. ( people still do, but it is not all harvested by hand.

My father used to work wheat in the summers as he was a kid, as did my Mother. My Father described the arduous process in detail. I can recall my Mother telling me she hated "hay and wheat harvest, more than ANYTHING". "People were hot and grouchy, and all I can recall about it, is just being plain old hot."

Here is a snippet...

I do wish Jerry would record his father telling us how they used to do this...

No comments: