Sunday, December 16, 2007

Old cookbooks

One of the best ways for me to relax is going through my Mother, Grandmother, or Great Aunt's cookbooks...I was looking for a recipe for a cookie recipe that could be used with Stacey Lees family's home canned figs. (which are delicious)

Anywho, I did find a recipe I might be able to use in a cookbook dated 1933.

I am unsure who was the owner of the cookbook.

But the best part of this cookbook is, what is written in the front and back cover.

For Example....

~Blood meal over plants, or corn, will keep coons away.

(I mean really, that is helpful advice.)

There is also a recipe for cough syrup.

~cough syrup

1 pint sage tea
2 TBS honey
2 TBS vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar

shake good, and take a swallow when coughing.



Oh and Mrs. Honzu, from the Bartlett, Nebraska drug store, I have your secret recipe for strawberry preserves. I do not know how my family managed to get this recipe, but it is written by hand twice!!

No comments: