Friday, May 06, 2005

I'll take potpourri for 500

I call my Dad every night to see how his day went. I have done this ever since my Mom died 3 years ago. We are 12 hours away, so it is the only way to check on him. I wish I could have him for dinner, or sit on the deck with him, but the phone is it, for now. I wanted to talk to him about dating, and how I thought it was a great idea.

So in the middle of the conversation.....He tells me "WE were just headed out, to get something to eat." I smile sooooo big, and giggle, and say "We?" He tells me "who" is at the house, and that he called her and asked her to dinner. Then he gives her the phone (I know...It was a tad awkward) and we chat briefly and I tell them to have a good time.

I immediately call my Sister and tell her...Dad is going out to dinner...He is on a date. We giggle like teenagers. We discuss that we are ok with this, but wonder about our Brother. My Brother thought my Mother was the Queen of all Mothers. She spoiled him terribly. I call him and I can tell by his tone he does not like this one little bit, he is not excited.

This morning I called Dear Dad to ask how it went. Sounds like they had a good time, got in at 11:30pm. Dad said "she is a talker, I think she was as nervous as I was". He also says they went to her place. "she's got a little townhouse, she has potpourri everywhere. I told her it smells pretty girlie in here." I asked if he would ask her to dinner again, and he said "I think so". Sounds like they hit it off, I am smiling.

For the rest of the day, he will be at a cousins funeral saying goodbye. What 24 hours can bring, it is really amazing.

6 comments:

vw bug said...

Oh how wonderful. I hope in another couple of years my Mom will be willing to go out. Best of luck!

TNT said...

I had the same experience with my dad. He ended up marrying the "talker". Boy, he wasn't kidding. However, they were very happy together and good for each other.

The Bobo Knitter said...

Alright! Sounds great.

Bou said...

Yeah!!! I'm so happy he had a good time.

You need to ask your blogmama about the movers saying she must have a romantic life. Cracks me up. The Potpourri thing reminded me of it.

Your bro will work through it, all though y'all make have to take him firmly by the hand to the path of being supportive for your Dad. (My boys think I'm the Queen of all Mothers too.) Your Dad isn't looking to replace your Mom and this woman isn't looking to be a replacement.

Caltechgirl said...

Yay!!!! That's great. I'm so glad they had a good time!

Anonymous said...

I love stories like this...

I remember when my dad remarried after being single (and dedicating himself to raising us three boys) for seven years. I was so happy for him when he remarried!