Friday, May 20, 2005

Growing up

My "Dash" proved something to me yesterday, he possesses empathy. I was beginning to worry. He is 3, and with an 18 month old Sissy that thinks he is the WORLD, you don't see empathy often. I see a lot of hiding from her, taking toys away from her, bullying and the like. He spends a fair amount of time on the bad days in time out. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out where I went wrong.

It was gorgeous yesterday, so I took the toddlers to the park in the morning. I put both children in the toddler swings. They are having a great time with the breeze in their tiny faces. All of a sudden a tiny 2 year old comes up crying, and says "I want to swing". I was prepared to take "Pink Ninja" out even though she is smaller, just because I knew "Dash" would carry on with one of his over dramatizations. The trammels of being three. I hear "Dash" say, "Oh don't cry baby, you can swing in this swing." He puts his arms up and wants help getting out. I lift him out and he goes over to this little 2 year old girl, he hugs and kisses her, (much to her dismay). He says "Be happy, you can have my swing, don't cry."

I seriously about fainted. Seriously, I even called Dear Husband at work to tell him. I am sure it doesn't sound like much, sharing a swing. It is something a 3 year old should do. For one second I felt all was right in my little World, that I am a good Mommy. My "Dash" cares about little girls who cry, who would have thought?

4 comments:

Contagion said...

you're mistaken. He's working on his charm to pick up the chics. He's getting an early start so that when they get out of the cootie stage he can get all the girls on the playground. :)

Bou said...

That is very cool. We need these little sparkles to see us through the times when things are rather... not so good. It is hope!

Anonymous said...

You can pick up chicks by giving them your swing?

I gotta try that...

Sarah the Penguin said...

Do you think Dash could give my boyfriend a few pointers?