Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sweaty palms, in Graceland







Of course we stopped at Graceland while in Memphis. Even if it was 113 degrees out. Hence the sweaty palms, hell I was sweaty everywhere, and so was everyone else. HOT.

I had been to Memphis, about 9 1/2 years ago. I like Elvis, respect him, enjoy his music, but Graceland is not my Mecca. I did enjoy the tour at that time, and so did Dear Husband. Elvis was a great entertainer. This being my second time through, I did notice that this tour, was shorter. 9 1/2 years ago, Pricilla's voice led the tour through Graceland, over your headphones, and she filled you in on little snippits about Elvis. I recall standing in that kitchen, listening to her tell us, Elvis would eat the same thing for weeks at a time, how he loved meatloaf. The narrorator mentioned nothing of the meatloaf this tour. Huh? I did not figure out whothe narrorator was either. I also noted some of the things have dissappeared. He had a collection of badges, marshel arts things, they were mostly gone. Huh? I do recall hearing that Pricilla and Lisa Marie had sold the "rights" or something to Graceland...maybe they have some of these things, maybe they are putting his things on a "mobile tour"?

I enjoyed 2 things about this visit, the "true" fans. You know the people that show up "looking" kind of like Elvis, with elvis tatoos, poofy, slicked hair, sunglasses. I also loved watching the people from outside of the United States, people from all over the World.

Can you imagine being so missed, that people made the trip to your home, to look at your glass encased things? I wonder if his Momma, had any idea what would become of this little boy born in Mississippi?

No comments: