Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Spotted DIck.

Dear Husband has been away with work for the last 2 1/2 weeks. He was in England hob knobbing with the Royals while I was doing the very opposite. (He did get to meet the Duke and Duchess of Kent. He said the Duchess was very personable.)

It is strange being married to a well traveled person, when you yourself are not. I have only been out of country one time, and it was Jaurez, Mexico nuff said. I had my first ride on an airplane at 23 years of age. I am not exactly an International Woman of mystery or intrigue.

So when he comes home from his travels, I ask odd questions, I make him eat and drink weird things while he is away. I made him try "spotted dick" this visit. I told you, I have the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy.



Title: Spotted Dick
Categories: desserts, English
Yield: 6 servings

8 oz self-raising flour
1 pn of salt
4 oz margarine
2 oz castor sugar (superfine)
4 oz to 6 oz sultanas (big
-raisins)
6 tb water

1) Have ready a sheet of foil or a double thickness of grease proof
paper brushed with melted margarine. 2) Make the pudding crust: Sieve
the flour and the salt. Rub in the margarine. Add the sugar and
sultanas. Mix in the water to make a soft dough. 3) Turn out onto a
floured board and form into a roll. 4) Wrap loosely but securely in
the grease proof paper or foil. Tie or seal the ends. 5) Place in the
steamer and cover tightly. Steam for 1.1/2 to 2 hours. 6) Serve with
hot custard sauce or sprinkle with castor sugar. Variation: At stage
3: Put the mixture in a medium-sized (1.1/2 pint) pudding basin with
a round of grease proof paper in the bottom and brush all round
inside with melted margarine. Smooth the top. Cover with foil, or
double grease proof paper brushed underneath with melted margarine
and steam for 1.1/2 to 2 hours. Serve with hot Custard sauce or
sprinkle with castor sugar.

Title: Stirred Custard Sauce
Categories: Sauces Fruits
Servings: 2

2 ea Large Beaten Egg Yolks
2/3 c Half & Half Light Cream
4 t Sugar
1 x Dash Salt
1 T Galliano,Brandy, or Ameretto
1/2 t Vanilla

I did note while searching the internet, there were several different variations of this treat. If someone has a tried and true recipe, please leave it here for me.

No comments: