Saturday, July 30, 2005

First Annual Bloggers For Books.....bookdrive.


I have read the book, and literary Memes around here enough to know, you folks are readers!! I also know a lot of us have sooo many books we do not know what to do with them all. If you are like me I lend books I fall in love with, out. I am soon disappointed when I find out the book or books are going unread.

I also have read enough of your blogs to know, you do what you can, when you can. I know most of my readers support Soldiers Angels, and other projects concerning our Service Men and Women. I know you are working families just like mine, and you want to do all you can, but might be strapped for cash. So I have found a great home for your books!! You can always donate to Books For Soldiers, a great organization, and since I am married to a soldier, I am thankful to them.


Yep, I am following Contagions lead here, I will be leaving this post at top.


I really think a lot of us could do a great service by donating our GENTLY USED books, or if you have the pocket NEW books. I will preface with the following, even though I do no think I need to, but ya never know. Please do not send books that are in poor condition, falling apart, musty. Chances are if you don't want them, someone else doesn't want to be on the receiving end.

I have been in contact with Chris, a librarian at Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. The need for books is great there. There is no library and no bookstore, and a population of approximately 40,000. I think the closest place to "really shop" might be Rapid City South Dakota. Pine Ridge is the second largest Indian Reservation in the United States. . There is a fantastic website dedicated to photographs of Pine Ridge, and Wounded Knee, although I will warn you, some of what you see will be hard to look at.


Chis provided me with several addresses at Pine Ridge that could use books, however the need is so great, it is overwhelming. I have decided to post just 2 of them for now. If you have further inquiries contact me, or go to Friends of Pine Ridge, and inquire there.


Childrens Village is a foster care home that can use kids books appropriate for toddlers through teens.
Ship to:
Children's Village, Inc.
100 Main Street
Box 1034
Pine Ridge, SD 57770



Wounded Knee Community Center can use book donations of any type for distribution to the general public adults and children. Novels, nonfiction, kids books, etcArere all welcome.
Ship to:
Wounded Knee Community Center
P. O. Box 48
Wounded Knee, SD 57794


I certainly hope you find the time to go through those boxes of books. I know it will certainly take me a while. Also do not forget When mailing ask post office for MEDIA RATE!! It is less expensive than regular postage, although I am guessing, you all know that as well.

Pass this on, and leave a comment, let me know if you participate. I want to know how many books are being donated. I plan on sending at least 25. My goal for "bloggers" was 300, but I think we can beat that. Would you mind labeling boxes that you send "Bloggers for Books"?

Join me in getting good books to good people!!

Thanks.

No comments: