Friday, July 29, 2005

Last Stop Sun Records





My Sister and I were only in Memphis, for 36 hours. We took in as much as we could. I guess that is what happens when you grow up poor. You never get to go on "vacation". So when you get your own money, and have the chance, you do not "vacate" while vacationing, you run though the town without sleep, taking as much in as you can.

The last time I was in Memphis 9 1/2 years ago I really wanted to go to Sun Records, The Birth Place of Rock and Roll. We did not have time, so this time, I INSISTED on going.

I took a TON of pictures in the little studio, until my batteries died in my digital camera. I was mad, and used the rest of the film on my Sister's disposable camera, much to her dismay.

It was amazing to be in the same room as Elvis, Johnny Cash, BB King, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Haggard,Howlin Wolf, Patsy Cline, Roy Orbison, the list goes on and on. The hair on my neck was up, the entire visit.

I was surprised to learn that "Rocket 88" might be considered to be the first "rock record" , and that Sam Phillips, did not care for Elvis first recording much, Sams secretary fell in love with the recording. Marion Keisker.....the woman behind rock and roll......I knew it had to be a woman.



No comments: