Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fowl Play






*The following is a transcription of a phone call from this morning*

"Suburbia" Animal Control: "Hello, Suburbia animal control, can I help you"

AWTM: Yeah, this is AWTM, from #12 Casa De Dust Way, and I have just noticed the strangest thing."

"Suburbia" Animal Control: "Yes ma'am?"

AWTM: "Well I just left Casa De Dust Way, and noted two young chickens in the neighbors front yard, and I am not sure if chickens are legal, but I thought you may want to know."

"Suburbia" Animal Control: "Chickens are actually legal in "Suburbia".

AWTM: "In the front yard?"



OK folks, I understand the benefits of chickens, I do. I come from farm folk. I know Guinea Birds are some of the best insect control/watchdogs you can get. I also have no problem with people raising their own food....

But chickens in the front yard, in a town where we cannot leave our vehicle in the same spot in the driveway fro 24 hours? The city that insists you have a regulation sized fence? The city that will not let you build a home, that does not fit the "scheme" of town....

Chickens are ok in the front yard?

Maybe I ought to get some chickens. Lord knows I could use the extra money. I could start carrying baskets of eggs from door to door. I could start bartering dental care and medical care for eggs, and chickens....

The Collective need something to do, and God knows with the farming genetics they certainly wake early enough to care for them.

Oh, and if I buy chickens, I am buying fancy ass chickens. You know like "show chickens".

Maybe The Collective and I could go on the road showing our fancy chickens.......

2 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

you know, Beth and John Donovan are about to buy some chickens, when they move to their farm, and Beth has been doing a lot of chicken research, you should ask her about it.

Susan said...

Ah, chickens. Sweet chickens. I, too, live in "suburbia" and our neighbors have chickens. Lots of chickens. In the dead of summer when it's 10000 degrees and has rained for 3 days straight you can imagine the lovely smell on the street. So, about three times a year I go on a chicken rampage. Our suburbia rule is 1 chicken per acre...none of us have a full acre so why do they get to have chickens? Same health control peeps cited us b/c we had grass that was ankle high due to 3 weeks of nonstop rain but their kids can play in chicken poo? Come on now. I have lots of respect for our town folk. I won't tell you about the house who slaughtered goats...