Monday, October 08, 2007

Welcome to having a child in school

My dear girlfriend from "back home" called tonight to check in. Oh how I love her, and miss her. Even if she reminded me that I have a 20 year reunion coming up next summer? WHA? Wha?

My girlfriend back home also is the mother to 3 boys. 3 of them bing, bang, boom. Wowzers. I recall a breakfast about 3 years ago. I think I was in Nebraska taking care of my Mother. She made the drive to my folks house, and we took our collective 5 children to eat pancakes, and scrambled eggs.

I recall her warning me, that as soon as her oldest started school, he turned "sassy" on her. I was not shocked by this, but thought I could possibly find a way around it.

My Dear Mother in Law reminded me of the same. She also warned me of good table manners exiting the premises.

Autonomy.

It is happening here, along with endless use of the 3 and 5 year old singing the word poop, underpants, and other such nonsense. Replacing song lyrics with the words poop, and underpants.

The Sass factor is also increasing. The I know what is best for me, when clearly, he DOES not. I mean he is 5. Just Saturday, he decided to climb in the bathroom sink, and when he exited he broke the toilet paper holder when he stood on it and fell to the floor. He could have cracked his skull wide open on the tub.

But he has gotten a bit sassy, self assured.....all that goes with being free from Mom rule for 24 hours a day.

No comments: