Thursday, October 11, 2007

mixed bag of blessings.


The story surrounding what the "news" is, well it is a long story. There is really no quick way to go about telling it. I also, for weeks have been unsure how much I am willing to put out there, just in case someone would stumble upon my blog. Ya never know, it has happenned before.

First off, the biggest surprise that I have recieved in the past couple of weeks is this...

I make a crappy military wife. I really do.

As I am ready to go "home".

There are several reasons for this.

Being a National Guard family, is much different than being regular army. I know, I have been both at this point in my life.

However, after 7 years here. We feel as though our collected efforts here in 7 years, well the investment is no where equalling the return at this point.

We came to this realization about 2 years ago, and have been looking for a "home" since that time.

We had been looking in DC, and Tampa.

Until just a couple of weks ago, when an offer came.

Would we mind going back to Nebraska?

Nebraska, with its cold winters, and wind shields that need to be scraped?

The most beautiful sunsets on the planet.

The smell of cow crap wafting everywhere.


"Home".

We hadn't thought about "home" for so long.

And guess what, the thought of home, made us excited, it did.

Nebraska is pretty quiet, the schools are very good, the crime rate is nothing compared to the 23rd in the nation we are dealing with currently, the housing market has to be one of the best in the country.

Oh and most importantly...family.

We have family there.

An opportunity for my children to be around "family". Cousin, Grandpa, Aunties and Uncles?

Wouldn't it be nice to offer my children some of the same of what I grew up knowing?

For 2 weeks I had daydreams about looking around a dining room table on sundays and smiling, and watching Nebraska play football, while eating chilli and listening to the men folk yell at the tv. I miss Sunsets on the great plains, I miss everyone in town knowing I am a good nurse, I miss the Midwest.

For 2 weeks my mind has been mush, as I realize not only, do I make a bad military wife after almost 17 years, I am homesick.....

I am homesick....

We did not get this last opportunity that came up.


But guess what, it did help us realize that yes we wouldn't mind going home for a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wise old person once said to me, "Everything happens for a reason... it's either a lesson or a blessing. Sometimes, if you pay good enough attention, the lesson can become your blessing in that it clarifies a direction you need to go."

I never had an example of the latter part until I read your post. I'm sorry you didn't get this opportunity, but I really hope the next one will be even better and even more to your liking.

That is a beautiful sunset! Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Tracy said...

I really don't think this makes you a crappy military wife, it just makes you human.

I am so sorry this did not turn out for you and will be praying for your family!