Sunday, October 07, 2007

Movie you must see

Practically everything I have watched this month or so, has made me cry....

Hotel Rwanda. I posted about it here.


Then I thought Appocolypto looked interesting. Another tear inducing movie....and a lot of violence, which I was not really prepared for. Although I am aware that violence and evil exist at that level. It was a very hard movie for me to sit through, as watching families get torn apart was heart breaking.....


Tonight, It was Rabbit Proof Fence. Tears again.

DH and I both LOVED this story of the amazing human spirit. This movie is based off of the book Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington.

Rabbit-Proof Fence is based on the true story of three Aboriginal girls, Molly (played by Everlyn Sampi), Daisy (Tianna Sansbury) and Gracie (Laura Monaghan), who in 1931 were separated from their mothers in Jigalong, Western Australia, sent to the Moore River settlement 2000 kilometres away to be trained as domestic servants, and then escaped, fleeing across harsh, desert landscape with the rabbit-proof fence as their only guide, to return home. The film is based on the book, Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence, written by Molly's daughter, Doris Pilkington Garimara, who was also forcibly removed from her mother. Documentary filmmaker Christine Olsen stumbled across the book in a newspaper story and from then on worked hard to turn it into a film, which included writing several scripts and bringing the project to the attention of LA-based Noyce. In press interviews, she admits that her first choice of director was Noyce primarily because of the uniquely realist and honest portrayal of Aboriginal characters in his debut Backroads. Noyce's realist style in this film was related to his work as a documentary filmmaker in Sydney throughout the mid to late '70s.


But I will say, that my days of choosing o
ur movies for our Netflix cue, might be coming to an end. Because frankly my movies choices are too dark.

If you have not seen Rabbit Proof Fence, please watch it...

It is based on a true life story, the very ending of the movie leaves you wanting more of this story....



Reminds me a lot of what America has done to its own aborginal cultures....

1 comment:

c wiss said...

I watched that movie over the summer, and cried *so* hard.

Did you watch the special feature about the making of the film? There was a section about filming the scene where the girls are taken away from their mother's -- it was even harder to watch that than the scene in the movie.