Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Gem

I found this little GEM, the other day, while perusing The Weblog awards catagories!!

I think you will all love her.

I started school in January before my sixth birthday in 1929. This was the year of the stock market crash and the Great Depression. I suppose we had "poverty" but not in the sense of povety today. Most people were in the same boat and helped one another. We were fortunate not to have 24 hour news so we did not learn until later that people were jumping out of skycraper windows to kill themselves.

The first five grades in our shool were divided into 10 grades. We had low first grade and high first, low second, high second. etc. If one finshed low fifth at the end of May, as I did, they had to go back into fifth grade or skip to the sixth for the next year.

No comments: