Saturday, January 31, 2009

There are some things one cannot just blog about...

It is funny that I as a diarist has a laundry list of things I cannot blog about...

One of those being work...even though I am there 30 hours a week.

Makes it very difficult to go about my day.

In essence I am having another one of my existensial crises..what do I want to do, what do I want to be...

and it seems as though it varies upon the day, etc...

I have learned one thing I abhore office politics and interpersonal work relationships. I do not know how they work. I am not sure how to wade through the muck. I have learned one thing through the years, that is husshhhh. Keep quiet, try and blend. But if you know me, these things are against my nature...

Like I said, everyone at work has been nice...I do not think it is a problem with "others"...I think it is me. It could be that I have been in home for the past few years, and have grown socially retarded. I am not sure...

I do think that being said, the shhh quiet motto is for the best, as is blending. I might just start carrying books around I see in airports...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I feel your pain. 18 months ago, I got a job as a lab assistant/tech in a family practice. I was the only one who could do the job I was doing. But I liked it, alot.
The practice saw many more patients a day than is normal and we were always busy. I also did vitals, ekg, phleb, office supplies and vaccines. I did my best to be where people needed me, but the OM wanted me to be under her thumb. I was independent and efficient.
She fired me,blaming it on the doctors whom I rarely worked with saying I wasn't a good fit.

My gut instinct told me I should have said no upon the job offer, but I wanted the job and the challenge.
No one knew I was being fired at the end of the day and everyone called me the next day to see if I was sick. The OM didn't even have the balls to tell them she fired me. When I told them it was because I wasn't a team player, their mouths hit the floor, as did mine initially.

As my mother always told me- What goes around, comes around. THe OM was fired 6 mo later.
Moral of the story-Office politics stink no matter where you are!!

Rave said...

I don't play politics. I can't stand it either....

Right now, I am in the middle of an Executive Director (whom I like) and a Board President (my friend)...the two of them hate each other...hence why I am in the middle.

I do my job. I answer questions politely and correctly.
If either one doesn't like the answer, it's probably because they didn't do something and when they expect me to 'be on their side' I just give the facts..

I keep telling other people at work- especially other board members- take EGO out of the equation- and then do your job.

Sarah said...

I loved your last line...I completely know what you mean.

Maybe you could carry around that book I gave you for Christmas. It's mindless enough...

Some Soldier's Mom said...

with 35+ years in business, the moral of the story is: if you can't say something nice, say nothing... nod politely, count to 10... and when the "price" of having the job is more than you're willing to "pay", find something else and tell them how much you appreciated the learning experience but time to move on (i.e., burn no bridges -- no matter how much you want to scream "F* off!" ;-)

btw, you are not socially retarded: you are independent and fair-minded with a quirky streak that not everyone appreciates (but WE do and we LOVE it!!)