Sunday, January 18, 2009

Domestic....and inspired

We got our first HIGH gas bill the other day $210. Frankly not too bad considering the temps were below freezing for days and my house is quite big...

We went to church this morning...

It was motivational indeed...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fears, our presence automatically liberates others.


Marriane Williamson

I loved hearing that this morning, and needed too.

Today I am catching up on all things domestic. I have veggies to cut and clean, chex mix in the oven, an apple pie to make , laundry whihc never ends, including bed linens, and rugs and dough rising so I may make Runzas (which is time consuming, but I made the filling a month ago and froze it, and will make enough I can freeze some.


Recipe


Original Runza Recipe

2 pound ground beef
1 large onion , chopped
Salt
Pepper
1 Medium Cabbage, chopped
2 batches of bread dough

Saute onion in a bit of oil until just translucent. Add hamburger and saute until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Drain away the grease, and return to the pan. Cover the mixture with the shredded cabbage and cook until the cabbage is done. Stir occasionally. This could take about 45 minutes or so.

Using an egg-dough recipe, roll small balls of dough thin to make a 5×5 square. Put about 1/2 cup of cabbage mixture in center of square and seal closed. Place seal side down on a parchment lined baking sheet (or a lightly greased sheet).

Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 or until lightly golden brown.


I am also taking engagement pictures today.

Busy, I might need extra arms. But frankly I heart being busy, it makes me feel good and useful.








5 comments:

Guard Wife said...

I'm cooking up some things too.

Are you guys on level billing with your gas bill? It might be worth checking out if not. We pay the same amount all 12 months & usually have a surplus after summer that we chip away at during the winter.

Went to Target & finished picking up the things for M3's care package. Can't wait to take photos & post them on the adoption blog. :)

I like the quote you posted.

Don't ever shrink, k?

Some Soldier's Mom said...

if you do not already have them, get "set back" (programmable) thermostats. heat automatically comes up just before you wake, turns itself down when you leave, up again before you get home, down again at bedtime... allows you to bypass weekends so it stays warm all day -- and you can "pause" it for school/work holidays like today! it also might be worth it if you have just one thermostat for the whole house to see if you can install "zones" so that you are only heating the areas you are using... just thinking with my fingers ;-)

Anonymous said...

I haven't posted here often but, THAT is cheap!! I live in a brand new house( it sucks and I'm not lying) and the master is 54 on days when the temps are below 20 which is frequent, in Shitcago.
The temps are always 68 and we feel frozen most of the time!! If i were using a heat pump which is only efficient to say, 45, it wouldn't bother me. But this month's bill was 360.

Rachelle Jones said...

Our bills in Arkansas were much higher for 1/3 the house...

So we are blessed energy seems to cost less, here...

We were surprised though as the bills have been VERY resonable...

I suppose since it is 20 below, I better get used to it.

dick said...

Strange to see Runza's. I was just reading the Roadfood digest blog and they had an article on runzas. URL is:
http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2009/01/Runza-and-other-regional-chains.aspx