Sunday, January 25, 2009

the post where I pledge to care for my body...

Last year at this time, my tummy was almost gone, my arms were in fantastic shape...and I was in terrific shape. (For me)

When I had to fix the old house, paint it, sell it, and pack up crap, I stopped going to the gym, because I did not need to. I was getting a heck of a workout from "working". OK, then we lived in a hotel, at my dad's home for a month while searching for a new house, then we moved, and painted...and blah...

I have not been doing my yoga, which I adore, as I have been doing it for years...I also miss my pilates, because it did change my hind quarters, my arms, and my tummy...seriously.

So this week I am headed to the gym to sign up the family for a membership. Tah Dah. PN wants gymnastics, SR needs something, probably swim, and well Mom would like to be able to wear shorts and tank tops, and a swimsuit without embarassment, if the temps ever are above 30 again. When I am moving, I feel better, I sleep better, my mood is better, I am proud of myself for challenging myslef. Because frankly it is easier "not to go, not to move".

When I was working the floor as an LPN, I was on me feet for 12 hours, lifting, running moving. My new job...not so much.

So it will be up to me to get up and GO, move, challenge myself. I look better and feel better when I do so.

I am also not going to make some crazy unrealistic goal of going 5 days a week. Frankly with work, school, the running involved in that, and family time which there is never enough of...I am going to set my goal at 3 days a week to start, and see what I can do.

I miss walking, I really do, but I am a weenie, and will not join the crazies who run and walk in these temperatures, I am not that motivated at this time.

So I will go Wednesday, take a tour, find a couple of classes and jump in....

Swimsuit Season will be here before I know it, I want to take the kids to the pool, and play with them, and I do not want to hide all summer....

5 comments:

Guard Wife said...

Okay.

Let's make a deal.

Let's attempt to hold each other accountable for taking better care of ourselves. I may not behave in a way that suggests I care about my body, BUT I definitely want YOU to care about yours. So, maybe that's how we remedy this?

I care a lot about you taking care of you, so I will encourage you to do so. And, you have made it abundantly clear you want me to take care of me, so you can continue to encourage me to do so.

I promise you that I will go the Y at least once this week...twice if I'm up to it...I'm still feeling a little hinky from whatever grabbed me Friday.

Rachelle Jones said...

I would love to live to be a hundred, so it is a deal...

I will remain accountable, if you do as well.

But I think your schedule is wway wackier than mine......

It is a deal!!

Joz1234 said...

I am right there with you! I have been exercising for 5 weeks now...it makes you feel so much better--stronger, more energy and better about yourself. Congrats for making a change in your life. :)

Teresa said...

Three days a week is fabulous, especially with your kids at this age. From now until they are driving are the hardest years to find time for yourself (even if you aren't moving from place to place).

Two days a week keeps you at the level of fitness you're at, three allows you to slowly progress - and slow isn't always a bad thing.

You go girl! Have fun and feel better.

Cassandra said...

Goodluck with this. I so need to start exercising as well..

I have way to many lazy lazy days.