Saturday, January 24, 2009

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Only because I keep giving the weather report.

Although I must say me writing about the weather reminds of the great plains diarists I enjoy reading. But weather takes on a completely different feel when you are traveling with virtually nothing in a Conestoga, or a darn hand cart...I doubt if I would have made it.

Middle age has creeped upon me, but indeed the weather does seem to effect us daily in some way. It determines, the activity of the day, what we wear, will errands be run by me with the kids, or will I have DH swing by the store on his way home.

Friday, there were almost blizzard like conditions, not much snow, but a terrific amount of wind. the 2-3 inches of snow we did seem to get... fell between 3-4 hours, and of course it was at the usual travel time, when some shift workers leave work, and children need to be picked up from school. the Lincoln city road crews, did a terrible job of clearing the roads. Which seems to be my biggest complaint about moving back here...I saw 3 snow removal trucks with blades up driving. It irritated me to see a truck driving over snow, when it could have been cleared...
The other thing I find unimpressive is the planet saving, beet juice, corn syrup mixture that I have heard they use to melt the snow. So far I have only seen one incident where enough was used to make a difference. The wind is my new enemy, and I think I will harness its power in my own back yard, if I could afford a damn windmill I would get one. The wind blows all of the time, which in the summer is quite cooling and nice, in the winter it carries a bite that will take your breath away literally. 45 mph winds, almost wiped my 48 pound 5 year old girl in a Walmart parking lot one day, as the parking lot was icy, and the wind came up and moved her backward at an alarming rate before I could snatch her up....

I recall when we lived here before the roads seemed to get cleared a little more timely. Maybe it was because I was young, and did not care as much...

You will be curious to hear it was 60 degrees here last Thursday! 60 degrees, and then the next day it was 14 below with the windchill, and blizzard like conditions. today it was simply brrr....and tomorrow more of the same. 14 degrees is cold. I LOVE all of my wool socks, and my NorthFace summit Series gortex, my new stocking cap, and my Harley Riding boots, seem to do the trick to keep my feet warm...

I do wish if it was going to be 14 degrees, it would snow a bit more, as The Collective have not had one good day of snowman building, fort building, or sledding. It has been cold enough but no snow here....

I have learned to take my boots to work in my bag, as walking through the snow in pumps of any kind is stupid, your feet will feel as though the are frostbitten, Nope the wool socks and boots go into the bag. Have I mentioned I love my wool socks?

3 comments:

Some Soldier's Mom said...

it has been 60-65 every day for the last few weeks... it got chillier the last few days... 58 today... but no wind... no humidity... deep blue skies... a few white puffy clouds. we might even get rain this week (WHOOHOO -- in the high desert of AZ we will take WET however we can get it!) come visit when you've had enough winter lol

Anonymous said...

Funny, but after growing up in CT, living all over, and always loving the snow, I find I am counting the days to Spring, too.
We can't really use our garage(long story) and this brand spanking new house we rent is not very warm at all. I wear silk long johns under my clothes but food is what makes me warm!

Anonymous said...

You might check out the boots called NEOS. They go over your regular shoes but have good traction and keep feet warm and BEST of all they are real easy to get on and off.
JL Young