Saturday, January 10, 2009

explaining.... D.I. V. O. R.C. E.



There is a divorce going on in our midst, and no it is not us. (I will not mention specific names, etc)...I have not blogged on it, out of respect for those in this particular circumstance. However, I have been trying to explain it to The Collective.

SR, was quite cut and dried over the thing. When I tried to explain it to them, PN asked "what is a divorce?" I wasn't sure how to answer that....

SR answered it for me, by saying "It is when people become unmarried."

That seemed well enough to explain what is going on. However, PN is now concerned about the collateral damage involved, as this couple has a child, and PN is concerned about what will happen to the child. We all are....

I did not know how to explain that either.

SR, explained it as good as I could, and told her, it happens quite a bit, and kids are ok. People still love them etc......

I am not going to judge here, some people should not marry each other I guess. And sometimes loving each other is not enough. This couple did struggle with this decision, and tried to make a go of it for the child. But frankly, it just was not working for them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son just asked me yesterday why his dad and I "had to break up."

I told him that we could still be friends and that I like his daddy a lot, but that we couldn't be married anymore.

He seemed ok with my explanation, but since he's asked this question a few times over the years, I suspect it will come up again. *sigh*

Divorce sucks. But as bad as they are, I'm glad mine was amicable and my kids don't have to see any fighting or ugliness.

Chuck said...

The best way to explain divorce to kids?

Simple. Mommies and Daddies divorce because their kids are bad.

Works every time.

Mary said...

Yeah I agree some people are not meant to be married even tho thye can make beautiful kids. Take this from experience, staying together for the sake of the "kids" is sometimes worse for them. We are learning to get along better with out being married. A part of me will always love him because of the kids.

Mrs. Who said...

Every divorce is different. Sometimes it's better to stay together for the kids, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you just have to guess which one it is.

Poor kids no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Tater's best friend's parents are now 'separated'. They live in different houses. And are talking divorce. It has been an interesting haul. I love what SR said. Perfect.

BostonMaggie said...

That Sir Roland.......he is one smart cookie! Wonder where he gets it from?