Monday, November 03, 2008

before I do my dinner dishes....



The Collective just got tucked in bed, stories read as quietly and calmly as I could muster...

There are times I think I was born in the wrong year...

There are some things I like about 50-60 years ago, and somethings I do not care to relive.

I remember my Grandfather talking about when a "communist was a communist", a patriot was a patriot.



There were certain expectations of neighbors, and people.

There are some LITTLE things I get nostalgic for...

Having a sales associate help you, even when you shopped at Sears or Penny's. If we happened to go to a special shop downtown, the owner might come out and exchange niceties with my Mother, (even though he knew we could not afford to shop there). My Grandmother always wore a hat to church on Sundays, and she always had a handkerchief, with little embroidered flowers on them. I recall shopping in the 70's with my Mother, and having the bagger at the local grocery store not only bag your groceries like he was trained to do so, but carry them to your car. Watching an actual butcher cut your meat, to your specifications. Having someone pump your gas for you, wash your windows, check your tires, and oil....

When we arrived at church Sunday (we are shopping still), I noted how very overdressed we were(I had a simple black skirt, and a black and white blouse) ....some folks had flip flops and denim shorts on...and I am sure The Good Lord did not mind a bit. But I was taken off guard. I WAS OVERDRESSED...?

My Mother used to take me with her to every election she voted in. She always wore slacks and a blouse, and she explained to me that she felt bad, because women used to show up at polling places in dresses and hats, from the best she could remember...

Tomorrow I go to vote, and I will do it in jeans, I am taking my daughter, just as my Mother took me. I want her to remember going to vote with her Mother...

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Better overdressed than under, but ugh. I can't stand that feeling. Although we attend a church where many are uber-casual, dh and I can't bring ourselves to go in jeans. Something about how you were raised, I think, even though I'm with you on God not minding what you've got on.

And what a lovely memory of your mother taking you to vote.

Anonymous said...

I took my son. He and I voted and got our "I voted" stickers.

Anonymous said...

We think a lot alike.

Drives me nuts to walk into church and see t-shirts and flip flops. That's on adults!