Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average.....

I get to go see Garrison Keillor in June!!! Yes I know he makes fun of Republicans, Lutherans, and Midwestern folk. That is why I love him so.

I used to listen to radio shows when I was a teenager, late at night. I am not even sure what the station was, but I believe it was in South Dakota. I found it one night after listening to Kasey Kasems American Top 40 show. The radio shows started at 10pm, and would run until 3:00am. Old radio shows, and I cannot even remember the names of any of them at this time. Of course they would play Burns and Allen, and Amos and Andy, but there were others. Mysteries, romance. It was a great escape for me. I could lie in my bed, and watch my Priscilla curtains blowing, and hear crickets chirping, dogs barking, and listen to these radio shows. I wondered why they ever stopped making these programs. I fell in love.

The station stopped playing the shows my senior year of high school, and I missed them. I went off to college, got married, and worked. On Saturday nights I would cook a big dinner for husband, his mother and I and listen to NPR. While I was frying chicken I would listen to Garrison Keillor and his Prarie Home Companion. I fell in love with radio once again.

Mr. Keillor is from the Prarie, just like I am. He can paint a picture of it like no one else. He makes me miss the corn, wheat, alfalfa fields, the church ladies, homegrown tomatoes, women canning vegetables from their garden, rhubarb pie, bachelor farmers, Sunday dinners and common sense.

If you are from the Prarie, and have never listenend to Prarie Home Companion, listen to one show. You will miss your mom's cooking, and you will be proud to be from the Prarie.

Maybe the Rhubarb Tour is coming to a town near you!

5 comments:

airforcewife said...

I'm from California. Anything I listen to about CA usually makes me cringe in horrified embarrassment.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time. He's not my cup of tea anymore, but there's no reason you can't enjoy his show. *grin*

Rachelle Jones said...

I know he is a crazy ass moonbat, and I wish that were enough to make me not like him any longer.

I think I am just in love with the people from the prarie....

Anonymous said...

I've listened to that show a couple of times. I like it though some of the reference I don't get... probably 'cause I'm a city girl!

I've never had rhubarb pie. Heck, I don't even know what a rhubarb looks like. Maybe some day I'll fid out.

Some Soldier's Mom said...

I was not a GK fan until I was fortunate enough to see the Christmas Show in 2003 in NYC... It was absolutely BETTER than the radio broadcasts (hard to believe, I know). You will have the best time EVER and be even more enraptured by the radio shows (if that's possible)...