Monday, June 13, 2005

Ooops

Sissy also tagged me with the childhood meme. I thought I had seen my name twice, but in my sleep deprived state, I was hallucinating about being in bed.

I have been thinking about all of the things I miss about being a child.

I think I must have been about 10 when the roller rink was THE place to be. I had my own pair of tennis shoe skates, blue jeans with a skate embroidered on the back pocket. The perfect pocket for my extra large orange comb. The perfume of the day was "love's baby soft", or Avon's "sweet honesty", and if you were lucky your older sister had "blue jean", and you would sneak a spray or two. I also had a huge Bonnie bell lip gloss-watermelon, that came on a rope, all of the girls wore them around their necks. If your hair was long, you would take a brett or comb and put one side up.

The drink of the day "suicide". Does anyone remember this ridiculous concoction? All of the fountain pops, even the rootbeer squirted into the same Styrofoam cup.
I wonder what would happen if I ordered one of those now, would anyone know what I was talking about?

It would have been around 1980 and the songs I remember skating to are Emotional Rescue by The Rolling Stones, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen, All Over the World by ELO, and I'm alright by Kenny Loggins...To name a few.

I never was asked by a boy to skate...Gawky girl. So never got to "couple skate". I did manage to win almost every limbo contest. The prize, something from the snack bar. "I would like a suicide".

6 comments:

Contagion said...

Holy crap! You described the local roller rink when I was in third grade to a T! I remember going, getting a "suicide" skating out there to the same songs in my stylin' skates with specialty "tie dyed" wheels. Wow, I had forgotten all about that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the roller rink... cheap dates with my first girlfriend.

I hated the crappy pop music, but it gave me an excuse to spend time with her.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Suicides, they were THE drink to get at the little kwiky mart where I grew up. And speaking of roller skates, have you notice the old fashioned four wheel skates are making a comeback? They're highly prominent in both a Coke commercial and and Ipod spot.
It all comes back eventually, huh? Wonder how long before Mountain Dew comes out with an Extreme Suicide version? Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you described my roller rink also!!

And yes, I loved the "suicides".

Andrew said...

Man, I never knew they called them suicides. In North Carolina there is a little burger chain called the What-A-Burger(great place to get lunch), and they sell custom drinks. One is called a Witch Doctor. It's essentially a Suicide except it has pickles. It's actually really good. Anyway, your post just reminded me of North Carolina, and I guess Suicides are still around in a way.

airforcewife said...

Ohmigawd. Well do I remember.

My cousins used to take us to the roller rink whenever we visited. We also all went to see ET together at the theater.

And one of my cousins had a ponytail on the side of her head.