Thursday, June 16, 2005

Just Like Your Grannies Chicken Soup-especially delicious if you are ill.

I know it is hot out, I know. I know.

Since I have been ill, I cooked a pot of this 2 days ago. The 4 of us....Ate it all up. It is my favorite soup in the world. It is also what I cook best. I do not measure when I cook, only when I bake. So here goes. The toddlers love it, and it is easy.

1 whole chicken. You can cook it however you like. This time I had used a chicken I had cooked "at attention" on the grill. (You know the beer can up it's behind chicken). You can also slow roast the chicken in the oven. Either way, I rub chicken with olive oil, and salt and pepper. If you slow roast chicken in oven, used a small covered roaster, and save the stock for soup.


12 cups water
3 tsp chicken bouillon granules
11/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
(save celery leaves for later)
1 12oz bag frozen Reames egg noodles wide (*you can make your own egg noodles, however these noodles do taste pretty good, and I honestly have not had time to make noodles from scratch since the children arrived*)

-some people like peppers, or onion in this soup.
-I like this recipe, and it tastes EXACTLY like my grandma and Moms, so I leave it alone.

Simmer those ingredients on stovetop with the chicken diced , until vegetables are tender, add noodles according to package directions.

-put celery leaves on top as garnish.

2 comments:

Silentwarrior said...

Recipe works good with weasel meat.


Mmmm...weasel meat soup...

Tammi said...

That is EXACTLY the recipe I use and it ROCKS!!!!