Tuesday, October 14, 2008

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

~Hitler




Weighing heavily on me over the past few months...

Two instances total, that stand out. But there are more.

And without throwing any one person under the bus, I will try and give details.

First a meeting with educators and parents. The parents being given information for the upcoming year.

Educator: "does anyone have questions?"

Random parent: "so, are we supposed to be reading to them? Like uh daily?"

I sat there, with eyes as large as saucers. And panned the room for other saucer eyed parents. I did not see any.

Second instance.

I was walking through the library, when I see a poster. On the poster is an artists rendering of a pancake, with a bacon mouth, a strawberry nose, and 2 eggs for eyes. It reads...and forgive me for not recalling the pharseology exactly...

"There is a reason breakfast is always smiling, feed your children"....

7 comments:

Jason said...

We are just victims of ad nauseum propaganda.

http://nomedals.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You mean like, we need to be parents everyday not just on weekends? Srsly. Not the first dumb questions I have seen today . . . not likely to be the last.

Sarah said...

OMG, the doctor's office scene is the best part of the whole movie. My husband and I say "your shit's all retarded" all the time.

I know, that movie weighs on my mind all the time too. Especially since we're that yuppie couple from the beginning! Cripes.

We need to have triplets.

Anonymous said...

Oh good God... Never thought about it that way...

Jerry in Texas said...

I had a long-winded comment, and of course, it got deleted. Sigh.

Something about Indiana having great schools but its grads all leave the state after graduation. Brain drain. The dumb ones are left behind. Repeat. I swear the people around here have gotten a lot dumber in the past 20 years. And they were pretty dumb even then.

Scary. (In case the first comment was being moderated, you can delete this one).

CaliValleyGirl said...

Idiocracy is such an underrated movie. I mean, yes, it is overall pretty silly, but the underlying theme is pretty dismal and true.

Miss Ladybug said...

One of my two jobs is as a substitute teacher with the local school district. I most often sub at a very nice school in a well-to-do neighborhood not far from where I live. Currently, I am subbing for a vacant special ed teacher assistant position, and have been since Oct. 16th. During the day, I "float" from one class and one student to another. One student I have been working with is a 4th grade boy during the language arts portion of his day. His teacher informed me that the father called the babysitter to help the son with his homework. It is sad so many (seemingly intelligent?) parents can't bother themselves to actually parent their children...