Monday, November 07, 2005

Training Wheels




This post, made a bell go off.......

Shoes, boots.....I never used to understand it. Why women or friends of mine for that matter LOVED shoes....

I grew up in the VERY CENTER of the United States. Nebraska to be exact. A place where footwear should be utilitarian. You should be able to run from a tornado in your shoes, or be able to step in some sort of farm animal crap, without a second glance. Oh, and lets not forget how frightfully cold it is about half of the year. Frostbite is a sure possibility. One can not, negotiate their way through an icy main street wearing anything but the most "suitable" footwear. There are rules in the Midwest, many unspoken, but if a woman falls in utilitarian footwear, someone will help her back to her feet, without blinking---they will also be concerned about her state. "Are you ok?" If a woman wearing 4 inch heels, crashes or slides on the ice in a parking lot in the Midwest, the response would be chuckles, and eye rolling. They will help you up eventually, but after they help you up....That person is sure to make a comment. "What were you thinking wearing those shoes in this weather". Wearing heels in icy weather in the Midwest, is simply asking for trouble....


Well after having the babies. Things changed for me. Not only my waistline. My nails seemed dry and brittle, my hair darkened 4 shades, to almost black, my once gorgeous skin There is one part of my body that did not leave its mark of betrayal. My feet. They were still a perfect size 7 1/2. My arches were still high, and still soft. Oh my feet......


So I could no longer shop for clothes. I was not about to give in to my new size. Oh no, I was going to go down fighting. I could not try on tiny tops, and feel sexy and coy, because the weight was not sexy. I felt like I needed to Cover myself in a Caftan or mumu. The biggest sweatshirt in the closet, and a big pair of sweat pants.

I could however, go to the shoe department and try on the cutest, and strappiest of shoes. Shoes that were flirty, young, and thin. Pink mules with kitten heels, black patent pointed pumps. Boots that were sexy and tall, and black and leather.....

So I gave in and bought some boots and shoes. They MADE me turn the corner. Why? One cannot wear 4 inch heeled with sweatpants. It does look ridiculous. The shoes prodded me to buy myself, a cute silky brown blouse, and that denim at knee a-line skirt. The shoes and the boots pulled me together. One cannot ride on the back of the Harley in New Balance tennis shoes, you need heavy thick soled, leather boots. Boots that make me feel taller....And safe.

I never thought I would thank a pair of boots.

No comments: