Thursday, November 17, 2005

Another Pretty Salad

This is a very delicious, and pretty salad. My Father who does "not eat salads", will actually eat this one. It also looks lovley in a crystal bowl on your Thanksgiving table.

-I think the last time I prepared this I used sliced almonds instead of cashews. I also used grated Romano, instead of Swiss. It is such a delicious and versitile salad have fun.

-Also I mix my dressing in "old mayonaisse jars, just shake well....."

-One more thing, as always dressing can be served on side.......

1 large bag of pre-washed Romaine lettuce (more if serving a large number)

1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

1 cup cashews

½ cup craisins ( sweetened dried cranberries)

1 red Gala apple (cubed/not peeled)

1 red pear (cubed/not peeled)



Dressing (Mix in a blender)

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 teaspoons finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2/3 cup oil

1 tablespoon poppy seed



Mix the lettuce with the cheese and craisins. I mix the apple and pear in the dressing so they don’t discolor and add just before serving. Also add the cashews just before serving so they don’t get soggy. Might not need all the dressing. It depends on how much lettuce you have. If you increase the lettuce, increase the cheese etc. The ingredients for the salad don’t need to be exact except for the dressing ingredients.

No comments: