Thursday, August 06, 2009

I married my Jake Ryan...

John Hughes died today...

and so for a greater part of the afternoon, I thought about movies and what they meant...

I hated my teen years, as much as about 50% of us do I suppose. I was skinny, unattractive, my naturally curly mess of hair was bad (mom insisted a perm would fix all, and frankly all it did was make matters worse), I had no idea how to apply makeup, I was not good at sports although I had tried, we never had money for any sort of lessons, or clubs so that was out too, I had attended a country school which did not helps matters when high school rolled around, I was not particularly skilled at academics either....



And as goofy as it sounds, John Hughes made that all ok, lots of kids were weird looking, strange..I mucked through...

My wish through high school....to marry my Jake Ryan. When I would tell my girlfriends, I would get the "he doesn't even know you exist" thing....he had a tall blonde girlfriend, who was not awkward.....

The John Hughes recipe worked....boy intrigued by awkward girl.

I married him.

11 comments:

Guard Wife said...

You need to get the t-shirt that says "Mrs. Jake Ryan" b/c this post so calls for it! :)

It made me sad today too.

So. Many. Movies!

Even Planes, Trains & Automobiles, for crying out loud.

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Aww that's so sweet!

I was so sad when I heard about him dying. His movies were awesome and will always be his legacy.

I kind of married my Jake Ryan too. I was crazy in love with Michael from the moment we met when we were 14. We were best friends though and for some reason thought it was best to date other people. I always felt like he thought of me as the girl next door. But then he came back from basic and...the rest is still making history!

airforcewife said...

You DO need that t-shirt!

I watched Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club so much that I had them nearly line for line memorized as a teenager.

They were a comfort zone.

ptg said...

This is the best Hughes tribute I've seen. Thanks.

Oddybobo said...

I have the lines from Sixteen Candles and Breakfast club and other John Hughes films memorized. They meant the world to me. And Jake Ryan? I pined after Jake Ryan. . . in fact? I'm still waiting for him . . .

"You! You beat up my face!" *snicker*

vet66 said...

Jake Ryan as the prototypical Knight In Shining Armor.

The proverbial damsel in distress rescued by her Knight In Shining Armor.

Love does indeed conquer all.

Unknown said...

I love this post, but I must correct you on a few of your points here - you may have not realized how attractive you were in high school, but knew then you were a stone cold fox. To this day, I still see that uber cute schoolgirl in you every time I walk into the house. I would also think I was more of an "Andrew Clark / Judd Nelson" character from the Breakfast Club (except better looking and way cooler).

InsomniacSeeker said...

Sixteen Candles is still one of my favorite movies. I remember the scene where the wedding is over and the crowds part and there's Jake standing there and he say Hi to Sam and she turns and looks over her shoulder...that was me.

Glad you married your Jake Ryan.

Sarah said...

I heart your husband, he makes me giggle.
And I bet you were a fox. Even now, you get off a 10 hour plane ride and say "Eww, I'm a mess" and you look like a million bucks.

vet66 said...

Dick;

AMEN to that, big guy!

Anonymous said...

I had the Ogilve Home Permanent, and glasses with metal rims and, wait for it...tinted lenses! Oh the Humanity! There is a picture of me in my basketball uniform and I'm wearing a headband! So of course my mall hair is shooting out all around it and I look like a Native, gay, transvestite version of Richard Simmons. Like is Simmons, a Harlem Globetrotter, and Tonto had a daughter. Eeeeeeeek.

My Jake's still out there, but he'll find me one of these days :)