Monday, August 31, 2009

a beautiful building indeed

Took Sarah to the Capital while she was here. The funny thing is, you enter on the first floor, which is terribly dark and dreary. When we arrived, we were informed the tour did not start until 1pm. I was like, hey lets go eat lunch and come back....

She looked at me like "really, I have seen enough we do not need to come back"...

We came back, and she was thrilled.

What thrilled her, the art, and this...



Nebraska shuns all long-term financial commitments, not just for retirement benefits. The state has no debt. Its Constitution forbids it.

One thing Nebraska does have: A balanced $3.5 billion budget and a $563 million cash reserve.

The cost of the Nebraska Capitol building was $ 9,800,440.07 in 1932. The construction job came in under budget and the building was paid for by the time it was completed.








href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7YTsHarkaVM/SpvHNG0VzEI/AAAAAAAABuk/42g1fLPbSfs/s1600-h/DSC03180.JPG">

4 comments:

Rave said...

can the run the federal government the Nebraska way? Please? I would love the 'no debt' thing....

loqi said...

I think I spotted a little Johnette Elway bump in one of those pics? :-D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm with Rave. I think I found the place I should move. Can they secede? Nebraska...yeah. I could live with a balanced budget...

Sarah said...

Loqi -- That may have mostly been the enormous lunch and pie we ate :)