Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Don't let the sun go down on me






There is a problem with this LIGHT thing. It is called routine. Our routine has been disturbed ever since the time change, and now that the sun is out until 8:40, we have a problem. It is called Mom having no idea what time it is. I might just add the kids do not know what time it is either. So we are a mess.

While I enjoy the extra hours of light, so I can work in the yard, it causes me to fall behind with my indoor work schedule, simple things like dinner, dishes, etc. Well they are getting done, but it is late at night, and frankly I do not like doing things at night.

I also think facebook, and tweet might end blogging altogether. I do not have any intention of quitting, but I notice people posting less, and less...which makes me sad. I am posting less, because I am fried out...

Let me see interesting things this week. I put in my 2 weeks at my job. "What AWTM, already? You wuss!" It pretty much came down to economics. Summer care for my children was going to cost a fortune. Over what I am bringing in, so the pure economics of it did not make sense. Plus, after not working for so long, well lets just say I forgot some parts of the working machine. I noticed most of the parts I did not miss. But seriously it comes down to economics. So I gave them notice yesterday, and they were nice. I would also much rather spend the summer with The Collective, and not. I am spoiled after years of staying home with them. Now we can hike, fish, and swim, and work on my summer learning plan. Nothing strenuous, I assure you. simple research and learning about gardening, animals, insects and the like. It should be fun. I also plan on getting myself back into some sort of shape. This can be accomplished by walking and pilates, and yoga. I have done it before....

The Collective are doing wonderfully, they have found a young willow tree in the yard they can climb, and even though I am terrified of one of them falling out, and breaking an arm, or a neck...well I figure "they are playing", "they are outside". The Collective found a slew of little toads in the french drain last night, and had a blast touching them, and carrying them, and watching them.

I noticed a couple of things this week....



I have to bend my arm to touch my son's head now. It seems like yesterday i had to be outstretched to touch his hair...no more.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You know...I have been thinking about getting a job for a while now. Both kids are in school and it is expensive to live in Virginia. But I just can't make it work. After being out of the workforce for ten years, the money I could make just doesn't cover all the child care I would need.

My husband thinks I should stay home for the rest of our lives. He says the kids need me now and as they grow they will need me even more than before. Plus, we couldn't do the things we care about, like violin and after school homeschool if I worked.

So, I'm trying to say...I hear you. I get it. I'm actually really glad to hear you say that you turned in your notice. I really hope that it all works out for you and you are very happy. I know it will.

I for one was taken off guard by the peer pressure to return to work once the kids go to first grade.

wendy said...

With all 4 of my kids in school this year I have felt a wee bit guilty about just staying home. BUT I honestly don't know how mom's who have real jobs do it all.

Here's to a long summer spent wondering why we thought being home all summer was a good idea....