Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Coyotes, and a pet cock.

Tonight we started our sprinkler system. I had trouble reading the directions, because I have no idea what a darn "pet cock" was. Yes indeedy my friends, that is what the directions said. I looked at the drawings and everything.

When I grow up I am going to write directions fro things, and label confusing parts as pet vaginas...

On another note, my insomnia is back, with a vengeance. So I am currently listening to coyotes, which makes me a bit nervous, as I hear a couple of dogs as well. that can't be good. I am not sure why coyotes make me nervous, but they do, when they are this close. The dogs involved in the coyote noise also sounded a bit desperate, which made me nervous. I keep wondering what is going on, and if anyone else is awake. How people can sleep with such ruckus going on, I have no idea.

It is moments like this, when I think I would have made a crappy pioneer. What would I have a lantern, and a rifle? No street lights to see the damn things, and I know they would have had my chickens by now.

Rhubarb season is here!! My Father called tonight, and said he has cleaned, and diced an entire ice cream bucket full. I will be making jelly and jam!

I would love to try this one

The sharp taste of rhubarb is balanced by the sweet blueberries and sugar.
Ingredients

3 1/2 C. rhubarb, coarsely chopped
1/2 C. water
2 1/4 C. blueberries, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 57g box regular powdered fruit pectin
5 1/2 C. sugar
Directions

Place rhubarb and water in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add blueberries, lemon juice, and pectin; mix well. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, add sugar, return to full boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Ladle jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Seal immediately with 2-piece lids according to manufacturer’s instructions. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

6 comments:

vw bug said...

Your jam sounds delicious... got any to spare??? ;-)

Allison said...

If you're ever in the mood for a bunch of immature giggling - go down the plumbing asle at your home improvement store. The pump that goes into the back of a toilet and has the floating thing attached directly to it? It's called a ball cock.

I'm thinking plumbers have all the fun.

Guard Wife said...

We have had coyotes all over the place around here & I'm talking in relatively urban areas. I think it's all the construction & road work that drives them from their natural, wooded homes of choice into places like ball diamonds & lawns surrounding factories.

I hope everyone's pets were okay!

Ellen said...

Yeah for rhubarb season! Maybe I can actually grow some when I get back to colder climates after we move. I'm always game for a new rhubarb recipe, Thanks!

Lee Anne said...

"pet vagina" -- This made me laugh for the first time today after being awake almost all night long with my son who has a case of the fussies. Thank you for that!

soldierdeb said...

This was just what I need to read - ahhh....love Rhubarb