Sunday, March 08, 2009

Wonderful company...

I just returned, and yes it is late...

We spent the evening with fellow US Army National Guard Soldiers, none of them born in the United States...

Amazing, really there were folks from Morocco, Peru, and Iraq. All thankful for what the United States Army has done for their countries, and wanting to give back with service. As an American, who has not served, I found it humbling, and amazing.

And even with the language barriers, there were lots of smiles, wonderful Moroccon food, and lots of laughter...

I learned little girls from everywhere love paper dolls and kitty cats..

6 comments:

Guard Wife said...

Paper dolls and kitty cats...the language all little girls understand to be sure! I'll put that in my memory banks so I can be sure M3 has some paper dolls and kitty cats to play with on our big plane trip home (when that day finally comes!). Sounds like a wonderful evening!

Butterfly Wife said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening.

(And I think you've given back with a different kind of service. You give a lot.)

Pistolmom said...

www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

8675309 said...

AWTM, as far as I'm concerned, if your spouse has served, YOU have served. :)

dick said...

Since you are married to a serviceman, you have indeed served and probably very well too.

I know what you mean about the non-native Americans. My last job before I retired was as project manager with a team of 10 former Soviet citizens who are now US citizens. They were from all parts of the USSR and the Ukraine and Poland. They were also proud of being Americans and very involved in the celebrations. They all without exception thanked Ronald Reagan for his policy that gave them hope during Glasnost and Perestroika. They could give our natives lessons on the subject.

The ones who come here and then enlist and serve proudly are to me even more amazing. I read their stories in the various military blogs. What wonderful people. they are.

Anonymous said...

This post is so charming. I agree with the other comments suggested that you too have served.
I wanted to quickly invite you to participate in and to spread the word about the Honoring the American Soldier tribute.

We're working with the band Queensryche and asking everyone to dedicate songs and share stories in musical tribute to our servicemen and women.

Check it out at http://jamsbio.com/american-soldier.

Any of your great stories would make a great addition, I'm sure.