Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Well of course he wants mini chocolate eclairs!

SR has requested mini chocolate eclairs for his birthday. This is what happens when your child can read, and loves Paula Dean.

It is hilarious to me, because PN wanted a frosting laden cake, covered with Dora the Explorer for her birthday, "from the store". She was specific about the "from the store" part too. I went ahead and indulged her. When I was carrying the cake from the bakery, the darn thing weighed about 40 pounds. My guess is, the gobs, of buttercream frosting on it.

SR does not like "advertisements" on his cakes.

So now I am making the eclair part of his birthday dessert as we speak, as I have to work tomorrow, and right after work we are headed to my Fathers for New Years Eve, SR's birthday celebration, and the Nebraska Bowl game am making the filling as well tonight, and I will fill them at my dads New Years Day.

I always thought puff pastry was intimidating to make, but really it is quit simple, and quick.

Tonight I used 2 sticks of butter, and 2 cups of water, boil it, and then add your flour 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until smooth and forms a ball, and then you beat 8 eggs. Yes 8 eggs, and add them one at a time. Done.

Really quit simple, and I contend if I can do it, you can too.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and drop the dough in teaspoon sizes on a cookie sheet.

Bake until, well they look done.

Now I am trying to catch up with laundry, I have DH volunteering his efforts at this time.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So stinkin' cute.

Some Soldier's Mom said...

how much flour 1/2 cup at a time? happy new year to you and the family -- from me & your bf!

Rachelle Jones said...

oh total 2 cups!!