Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer coming to a close?

The high is a mere 81 today, which is fine really. It is perfect weather for almost anything. however it does remind me that in a few weeks my children will be school bound. My son headed to 2nd grade, and my daughter is officially out of my nest and headed to all day kindergarten. funny thing is, I recall writing so much about my trepidation re: sending SR to school. Worried does not begin to cover it. And there is no trepidation about sending PN. She will be fine. She is my leader, my diplomat, my easy peasy child. The other day when filing out the massive amount of paperwork there was a child survey to fill out. Last year I had to fill it out for SR I needed extra paper. For PN, there was really nothing to say. She needs confidence building. You see, she is smart as a whip. However, when your 7 year old brother can talk about algebra, and electronic receptors, well you think you are not smart...She is, and we cheerlead, and praise her. So I had to fill out this paperwork, "what frustrates your child?" Ha, pretty much nothing...she lives with SR. She has seen his frustration with things, and doesn't understand it. She tries to find the middle ground, avoid confilct, get along with people, she is my pleaser... Being a pleaser comes with its own baggage. (takes one to know one, so I will try to steer her). She is much like her Father in diplomacy matters. She cuts others slack, and is empathetic and understanding. She is popular with peers, likes to mentor others, take others under her wing. All of these great and amazing things. I admire that. She is my team player. She got none of that from me. I find all of those things frustrating. I am anxious for her to get her leaving the nest wings, and cannot wait to see where she takes herself. She is responsible, and helpful. She is a peach about daily help. She dresses herself, and empties her hamper, cleans up the bathroom if it is a mess...she does it without me asking. She enjoys hostessing when we have company, and likes to do extra touches, like putting a lemon wedge on the lip of a glass...she is thoughtful. The only time we seem to have any difficulty with behavior is when she is the least bit tired...she has never given into naps. I hope she embraces them at some point in her life.

I have an amazing daughter and son. The other night as DH and I were lying in bed, we were lying there wondering what will become of our children. What will they do, and what types of adults they will become....and like all parents, we were trying think of our strategy and how it is working....

You would not know these children came from the same home. They are exact opposites, I am sure the school will be surprised. I think the kindergarten teacher has probably been given the run down on SR, and told to expect something similar. This means she will be prepared for a hurricane, when she needs to be prepared for a 75 degree day.

SR has showed some maturity this summer, but has a long way to go. The frustration has gotten a little better. He strives for perfection in everything, and when things are not perfect he tends to fall apart. It is far better than it was one year ago. Last year, when he entered 1st grade he had to wear headphones because of the noise. By the end of the year, he was managing without them. He is learning how to "enjoy' playing a game, even when loosing, although he has his moments. His motor skills are better. His focus, well he is focused, but we are never sure on what. He is always building structures in his head, and can build simple machines with ease. The bike riding has helped with his confidence, and so has the swimming. I think we will continue with the swimming with both children. There are moments he seems disoriented in his own body. this year, he gets a math and science mentor! WE are thrilled! This should be a great challenge to him. He is currently showing his math ability to be at the age range of a 13 year old. I am excited to see how this goes this year.

Only a few more weeks, and play time is over. Bedtime is earlier, rising is earlier.

and me, I have no idea what I am going to do, none.....

5 comments:

Guard Wife said...

I am having to come to grips with my own trepidation on things re: changing schools. *I* am nervous about it, but I'm trying to make it as smooth a transition as I can for the girls. I don't worry about M2 so much as she is my bloom-where-you're-planted kid. M1, although remarkably well balanced for all life has thrown her way, is at the 5th grade age where so much uncertainty kicks in and it's yet another transition for her. Sigh.

Unknown said...

As one of your biggest followers, and your husband - I am beyond a shadow of a doubt the most qualiffied person to say that this post is spot on and very well written. You get a Hershy's Cookies and Cream bar tonight.

Keep it up hot stuff!

vw bug said...

I am dreading and looking forward to it...

Sarah said...

Awww, your husband is wicked cute. I wish my husband would comment on my site...

Marc Miyake said...

Wow, I've never seen your husband write before! Maybe I just missed him before. I do hope he finds the time to post again. Time ... something I wish he had more of.

This post makes it clear that PN is remarkable in her own right. She and SR could make quite a team when they grow up. You and your husband are so blessed.