Friday, July 10, 2009

July trip to The Sheldon






Update:

The kids were stir crazy today, as I was not feeling well this week. I do not blame them. They are still discovering our city. I had them pick out a destination out of the Lincoln Safari book. They both chose a park, that had skateboarding ramps or whatever you call them, and equipment to play on. As soon as we pulled up, we noted about 14 young tweens and teens skateboarding, trying new tricks. SR loved it, thought it was "AWESOME". I asked him if he noticed anything...

SR has been my frustrated child. I suppose that is what happens when you read so early, and certain things come so easy to you...some things do not. Eg: the bike. A year ago, it was awful to even try to get him to attempt it, because it was work for him. It was not easy. This did not make sense to him. But as he watched these young men try and try and fall and land on pavement, he did notice...

AWTM: "do you notice anything?"

SR: "The make mistakes, and they just get back on, they need to practice"

AWTM: SIGHING, the biggest sigh you can imagine....peace.

SR finally understands trying at 7. This may sound like nothing to some folks, others will understand, and it is difficult to explain the amount of encouraging and exhaustive cheerleading we have had to do to get us here. There is a certain peace I have tonight, that I can not express.

We then decided to go out for Vietnamese lunch. I ordered bun, and shared with The collective. This particular restaurant has the long heavy chop sticks. PN picked them up like she eats with them every meal, and ate her entire dish of bun! SR loathes the heavy chopsticks, and even though he was frustrated he did not complain, he ate with one in each hand...An older Vietnamese complimented PN on her chopstick handling! She beamed.

We then decided to go to The Sheldon Art Gallery, at UNL. I was sort of worried at the beginning, they have done Natural History museums, science museums, etc..but never a non interactive museum. So I gave them the no touching, no getting to close to paintings, no running, no talking rule bit..THEY loved it. LOVED it. In good news, the museum is quite small, with 4 small galleries to go through, there was no time for them to be bored. In fact I was surprised that they sat on benches and actually looked at painintgs, laughing at what was whimsy, calling what was weird, weird, and loving some of the art work, as well as pointing out details I might not have noticed...PN, recognized this painting immediately, as we have a small print of it in our dining room. she was thrilled she recognized it, and was excited. We both noted my print is not a good reproduction as my print looks more yellow than green in spots.. SR was interested in Whistlers lithography and print making as he has been reading about this for about 2 months. He could explain to me in detail each part of the process in lithography, and in other print making. PN did not quite understand why so many sculptures were "naked", and decided it must be hard to sculpt clothing...

I have been enjoying them so much this summer, and am thrilled I have had the opportunity to see such growth in them both. It is happening so fast. I no longer make beds, or clear off plates, or pick up toys or clothing...they can do all of those things, and normally do so without me fussing at them...

There are moments I want to stop the clock and do days over again and again...like today

2 comments:

wifeunit said...

When Mark was first in the Navy his Rate was Lithographer. If we ever get together with kids and husbands, SR can chat Mark up. Unless he has moved on to something else by then.

It definitely sounds like a great day!!

Sarah said...

Lovely post...