Thursday, May 05, 2005

News from the homefront..Or...My Dad is going on a date.

My sister called last night with the "weekly roundup". News from the town I grew up in, but she forgets I haven't lived there since I was 18. Half of the time I have no clue who or what she is talking about, but I sit and act interested and amazed. It is a small town. Last nights "weekly roundup", was different. My second cousin has been ill with lung cancer for 2 years, he passed away yesterday. Which is a blessing......He had suffered long and hard. A local law enforcement officer was arrested for making and distributing crystal meth....Nice. The finale was, "Dad called and asked how to spell "a certain ladies" name". (We are from a town that Germans settled, names can be hard) Oh really... I guess he ran into her at Walmart, and they talked. He wanted to call her and ask her out.

I am actually thrilled to hear this. My father has been widowed for 3 years. Everyone, in the family is finally realizing she will not be coming back. You cannot wish a person back. My Mothers death has changed the family dynamic, forever.

The certain someone in question is also a widow, who's husband was electrocuted right in the front yard as she was looking out the window. I have met this lady before, she is a nice Midwestern woman, never remarried. She is an attractive lady, flashier than most Midwestern ladies. She also worked with my Mom. They were "work friends".

I have not spoke with my Dad about this yet. I do not want to seem like I am disapproving, or snoopy. He is 63, and it is his business. He has been locked up in the house for tooo long. Unhappy, and misses my Mom terrible. They were married 41 years and one day.

I guess I should call and let him know I think it is a great idea. He needs a friend and companion and deserves to be happy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's very sweet that you're supporting your dad on this.

Anonymous said...

Good for your dad! I can just imagine trying to do that myself (and I've only been married 26 years... about half as long as him). It's a very difficult thing to do - it's so much easier to withdraw from everything - even if it won't bring your mom back. Best of luck to him as he gets back to making friends and getting out into the world again.

The Bobo Knitter said...

If it doesn't work out, I have a 61 year old korean aunt in need of a card-carrying citizen to be her husband ;)

But really, it is good to see that you support your dad and that he may have a chance to paint the town red, so to speak.

Bou said...

My mother in law died January 6, 5 years ago. The family dynamics changed like I would NEVER have imagined. It's not been good. At all.

Pop won't date... he's got a lot of physical problems and he's 80. But your Dad... he is young. I wish him the best in finding a companion.

I don't know how your Mama died, and I am so sorry to hear she is gone, but I will say that a sudden death can take 3-7 years to pass through the grief. Sounds like your Dad is making progress...

Caltechgirl said...

Yay for your dad! I hope he has a good time with a new friend, if nothing else, he could probably use it :)

Call Me Grandma said...

Wishing Dad A good first date.
I have been married 39 years and I can't imagine life without my husband, if something would happen to him it would be like losing my arm or leg. But life does go on, and I am glad to hear Dad is going on...

Contagion said...

I hope your dad the best of luck dating. It's best that he moved at his own pace. Personally if something happened to my wife I probably wouldn't date again for two reasons.

1)I would compare all other women to her and find them lacking

2) No one else would put up with my BS like she does.