Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Position of The Week #20




"At the center of your being you have the answer;

You know who you are and you know what you want."

-Lao-tzu



Tonight, I needed yoga, had to go. MY mind full and fast of things undone, things to do. I also needed to go, because my body ached. 2 1/2 weeks with very little exercise is not good for my head or my body. I do not ache or hurt when i am practicing regular. My head is clearer, thoughts are crisper. There is a relief.

The class was a challenge tonight, it included 30 minutes of pilates. Which I am learning to love only because I have a waist line again. The 30 minutes of pilates was follwed by 20 minutes of a great yoga sequence.

Here is the best part, it was the teacher I fear, the hard ass, the class I used to loathe. Guess what, I do not loathe it any longer. Perhaps, it is beacause I struggle less. I am respecting what she has helped me accomplish. Even if she smiles ardently, and chats us up, as I struggle to maintain a pattern of even breathing.

Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)

Named after a legendary teacher of yoga, this twist energizes the spine and stimulates the digestive fire.


Click for larger image

(ARE-dah MOT-see-en-DRAHS-anna)
ardha = half
Matsyendra = king of the fish (matsya = fish
indra = ruler), a legendary teacher of yoga

Benefits
Stimulates the liver and kidneys
Stretches the shoulders, hips, and neck
Energizes the spine
Stimulates the digestive fire in the belly
Relieves menstrual discomfort, fatigue, sciatica, and backache
Therapeutic for asthma and infertility
Traditional texts say that Ardha Matsyendrasana increases appetite, destroys most deadly diseases, and awakens kundalini.

No comments: