Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Call

Posted by My Life as a Military Spouse

AWTM gave me a few topic ideas when she asked me to be a blog helper. To be honest I have sat down each day since and tried to write my thoughts down, something of interest, something that would be insightful or helpful to other military wives.

My mind has been rather blank as of late and normally when I sit down to write, it just comes. During this last week, nothing has just come to me. For all I have lived through in this military life, I kept coming back to the below and even though I did not personally write it, it says it all in my opinion. I know it explains what my life is like during each and every deployment.............


The Call
by Laine Estep

There she sits, by the phone
Willing it to ring,
Needing to hear those words of love
She knows that call will bring.

The hours pass, but pass so slow
And still there is no call
From her love so far away
As the tears start to fall.

Once again, the day drags by
She knows it's part of life
Spending days and night alone
When you're a military wife.

He goes because it is his duty
To protect the freedom of this land
She prays that God will keep him
Safely in His hand.

She kisses her children, tucks them in bed
And watches them as they sleep
She never knew that loneliness
Could ever run so deep.

She's had no word for three long weeks
She doesn't know if he's OK
She knows there is but one thing to do
And that one thing is Pray.

God must have been listening
As she bowed her head just then,
Because the phone started ringing
As she whispered "Keep him safe, Amen."

Before he hangs up the phone
She whispers, "I love you".
Her heart soars with joy again
When he says "I love you too."

There she sits by the phone
Not wanting the call to end
But thankful for the chance
Her love to him to send.

No matter where they are
They are never far apart
It takes more than distance
To separate their hearts.

For they were joined in love
And they meant those words for life
That has a special meaning
When you're a military wife.

No comments: