Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Broken Heart Supper Club

It looks like I will be hosting a dinner for the broken hearted next Thursday. On the menu will be something like meatloaf, green beans, mashed potatoes and peach pie.

It will be odd having someone over who keeps saying "I feel like I know you and the kids", "I watched all of the videos of the babies, and loved hearing stories about them." I know very little about this man, all I know are his troubles. All he knows of me is my voice behind a camera filming babies that turned into toddlers...

So I will try and put my big ears on and my little mouth, if I can find it around here. I rarely wear my little mouth, maybe it is in the closet, with the winter things.

When my husband was in Desert Storm I recall something similar happening. In fact, out of all of the couple we knew. I think we are the only couple still married. The fallout of war, separation, time, and age is complicated. It requires a different set of rules. It requires a strong woman, and and an even stronger man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope it goes well and for a little bit of time he feels good. It's a wonderful thing you're doing for him.

The Bobo Knitter said...

I agree. Sometimes a person just needs a friendly face to speak to, and it often makes all the difference for a very short while.

Bou said...

You are doing a good thing. He just wants to be around people who care and who will listen should he choose to talk... or will not push him if he chooses not to.

You are a good person. This is goodness.