Wednesday, April 27, 2005

#20

I just got a phone call. Came home, wife gone, kids gone, money gone.....He doesn't know where they are.

I listened and wanted to cry, didn't know what to say, have never met the guy. My husband served with him in Iraq. I asked him if there was anything we could do, he said no,I asked if he would come and eat a home cooked meal. I felt like a dumbass for offering food.

That is what I learned to do in the Midwest, even if someone suffers a death in the family...You take them a casserole.

What is the appropriate meal for a broken heart and spirit?

6 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

Anything homey. Meatloaf, Mac n Cheese, Pot Roast.

It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?

More hugs in your direction!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am so very sorry. Tell him that there are others out here sending him our best wishes. (I know it doesn't help him much, but it's nice to know other people care). Caltechgirl is right - homey foods. And there's nothing wrong with trying to feed him. A meal with a family is a good thing to offer - it might provide just a shred of normalcy when his world has just turned upside down. *sigh*

Sue said...

No matter what, food is always welcome. Even in the darkest times, ya gotta eat. It's just one of the purest forms of support too, I think.

The news itself just sucks, though. I really cannot understand how someone can leave their s.o. when they're away serving their country. It just gets me so angry!

Best wishes and hugs to your friend and you!

David said...

More of a southern thing , I would say Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes just the thing for a broken heart. And for dessert an extra big dose of shoulder to lean on and a friendly ear to listen with.

Bou said...

Food. Call him in a couple days and have your husband insist he come over for dinner again.

Caltechgirl is right. Do you do Italian? A good lasagna or baked ziti will stick to your ribs. A big turkey and potatos. Pot Roast. STEAK!!!

Anonymous said...

Avoid tofu and have beer in the fridge.